What does it do?
Professional Indemnity insurance protects you from the consequences of any legal claims against your business resulting from an allegation of negligence, for example that inadequate advice has been provided by you or your employees.
This may include: negligence; loss of documents; breach of privacy; dishonest or fraudulent acts or defamation.
Cover can also pay for your defence costs and for legal representation at an inquiry commissioned by an official body.
Why do I need it?
Professional Indemnity insurance helps you mitigate the financial risks associated with a claim being made against your firm / company or if you’re a sole trader, against you personally.
By purchasing insurance we will help you in the event of a claim. This may include us appointing legal representation and / or paying them to assist with your defence (once any deductibles have been paid).
Should you be found liable we will meet any award against you so as to help avoid the negative impact on your business of paying compensation.
Professional Indemnity insurance potentially covers a variety of situations depending on your profession. Some examples may include:
- Recommending the wrong software if you provide IT support services.
- Failing to adequately check a prospective employees CV if you’re an HR consultant.
- Preparing a tax return incorrectly if you’re an accountant.
- Preparing the wrong market profitability data when a company is deciding to invest in a new product when you’re a business analyst.
- An interior designer’s project looks completely different from the concept drawings signed off by the client.
- A change management consultant involved in a corporate restructuring project which has had negative staff engagement and feedback.